At the initial meeting with our lawyer when we paid our deposit for a 'flipped' property our lawyer repeatedly told us that our money was safe. He smiled indulgently at my repeated questions regarding the security of our funds and kept telling us there was nothing to worry about and in any case the Bank Guarantee would ensure our money was safe. He explained how the Bank Guarantee worked and even offered scenarios in which we might have to claim if anything should go wrong. They also asked us ti give them power of attorney for the purchase of the property as this would mean we would not have to travel back and forth from Spain to sign the contract etc.,
Tired of waiting almost four years for completion and after repeatedly asking our lawyer to seek the return of our deposit under the terms of the 'Bank Guarantee', (to which their repeated reply was that it would involve a very expensive court case because the bank said, ' Only when a judge says we must pay back the money will we return it to the purchasers') we decided to change lawyers.
When we received our file from them there was no Bank Guarantee. I asked them if they had misplaced it and their reply was, 'The developer failed to do his duty and supply one'.
My Questions.
1.Should I sue the lawyers for gross negligence??
2. What do you think would be the outcome?
3. What would be the approximate cost.
4. Where would I find another lawyer with the ability to do this?
5. Would I get back my deposits and also the money that I paid the lawyer for a) Power of attorney ,b) conveyancing services, plus interest and damages?

Thank you.