Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Comunidad de Propietarios: Avoid Problems with Your Neighbours in Spain

Dear Sir/Madam,

I believe the laws on the matter of swimming pools strictly for the Comunidad Valenciana are decree 255/1994 amended by decree 97/2000.

Some municipal (public) swimming pools do forbid the use of inflatables. Another matter is what communal pools within private gated communities agree on this. There's freedom on drafting the Internal Community Rules as per the article which starts this thread.

Unsurprisingly 12 children drowned in swimming pools in Valencia in 2008.

http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia...-20090709.html

Yours faithfully,

Unregistered

Default Pools and Li-lo's

Nobody has ever been able to produce the relevent decree banning li-lo's in swimming pools-because there isn't one.

There is no law banning li-lo's from any pool private or otherwise. It is only kill-joy presidents and management companies who spread this nonsense.

It's an urban myth, similar to the non-existant law that says you can't wash your car outside your own house because it wastes water.

If you think about the irony in that, you cant use 50 litres of water once a week to wash your car but you can top your swimming pool up each day with 500 litres.

D barker

Default Comunidad de Propietarios: Avoid Problems with Your Neighbours in Spain

Has the president of the community to "sack" a member of the elected committee ? and then to tell all other members that any requests must go through him and not directly to the administrators

Dear Sir or Madam,

A Community President is powerless to "sack" fellow board members,

That is something reserved to AMG' or EGM's.

Queries from fellow commonholders should go through the President, yes. It is most sensible, unless the President is hiding something and becomes non-responsive. In which case an EGM may need to be called in.

Yours faithfully,

D. Anchell

Can an owner who has an outstanding debt to the community become president of that community whilst still owing the debt?

D. Anchell

What circumstances can prevent an owner be elected as community president?

Dear Sir,

He can be elected President, but he cannot vote.

Only commonholders who are up-to-date with their community fees can vote on EGM's or AGM's.

Not much point really in electing a Community President who cannot vote (unless he clears his arrears) is there?

I'm not aware of such circumstances. The Commonhold Act specifies the requirements that need to be fulfilled to be elected, not viceversa.

As long as he/she is of legal age (>18 y.o.), owns a property in the Community he is eligible for the role of President.

It's advisable not to elect neighbours which hold a Criminal record (i.e. embbezlement of funds). But that's just a recommendation.

Yours faithfully,

Unregistered

Default Presidents election

Quote Originally Posted by Lawbird Lawyer View Post
    Dear Sir,

He can be elected President, but he cannot vote.

Only commonholders who are up-to-date with their community fees can vote on EGM's or AGM's.

Not much point really in electing a Community President who cannot vote (unless he clears his arrears) is there?

I'm not aware of such circumstances. The Commonhold Act specifies the requirements that need to be fulfilled to be elected, not viceversa.

As long as he/she is of legal age (>18 y.o.), owns a property in the Community he is eligible for the role of President.

It's advisable not to elect neighbours which hold a Criminal record (i.e. embbezlement of funds). But that's just a recommendation.

Yours faithfully,
    Thankyou for your response. The election of this person as president is advantageous to a number of residents financially. Surely one of the presidents duties is to ensure that any debt owed to the community by any owner is paid, if necessary by legal action through the courts. As it is doubtful the president will sue himself, how can he legally hold the office?

Dear Sir or Madam,

You're welcome.

Indeed, its one of the -very- unpleasant tasks of Community Presidents to take to court fellow neighbours for lack of payment of Community fees.

Post credit crunch this has become all too common and many Presidents are now caught in legal wrangles. It's a burden associated to the role of President as it entails great responsibility. Presidents have to pursue non-payers otherwise more will follow suit and the community as a whole will just crack down. Gardeners, security guards will stopped being paid, gardens will overgrow, green pools etc. Break-ins will become all too common as the whole place is in a derelict state, property values will plummet etc. It's just a downwards spiral that can serioulsy tarnish what would have been a nice development.

It is highly doubtful that an elected President will pursue himself, granted. That is why it is not recommendable to choose as President someone who is in arrears as it stands to logic. At the end of the day its the individual who fits the role of President which makes all the difference.

Yours faithfully,
    Raymundo LarraĆ*n Nesbitt

Sanita

Dear Raymundo Larrain Nesbitt.
    I would like to thank you for your articule..it was very helpfull.I have one problem,which I hope you might know answere.I am aware,taht property owners with unsetled debts can not vote..my problem is,I have property for 3 years,paid my maintance every year in time.As we never had any meetings or explanations where our money going..in 2009 I asked for all bills for this years maintance.I get got suspicios,when I been ignored for 6 months,alerted my neighbours,and refused to pay maintance until I see for what I am been paying all 2 years.We forming community only now,in 2010.
    How legal is to charge us for maintanace,when community dosent exsist?Is director in position to hide all bills and be bullie??Am I wrong not to pay,untill I know for what?I know I am risking loosing my vote,but I have a feeling I been robbed for 2 years.
    Woul love to hear what you think.Thank you in advance.