Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Plus Valia tax

Hybrid View

Unregistered

Question Plus Valia tax

Does Plus Valia Tax have to be paid in addition to Inheritance tax when, as a result of a will, it is transferred and not sold ?

I have just been asked by my lawyer to pay E4500 on top of E500 already paid for Plus Valia Tax. I have no idea how it is calculated - can this be checked
    My Husband died in 2006 and left his 50% of the property in Puerto Banus equally to our 3 children. The value at the time of death was approx E300,000 on an original purchase price of approx E100,000.

Regards Jacky

Dear Madam,

Yes it's paid on top as well. It's a local tax.

As your husband died in 2006 the tax still has to be paid.

You've been asked to pay for 5,000€ for plus valĂ*a tax on a 300k property?

Have I understood correctly?

Or did you mean to write that the plusvalĂ*a tax had been only 500€?

Unregistered

Default Plus Valia Tax

Thanks for your prompt response.
    Yes I had paid E500 to my lawyer in March this year but at that time he had not mentioned that further payment would be required. He has now asked for a further E4500 ie E5000 in all. He has not given me any official evidence of this request and although I have no reason to believe he is not acting in my best interests, I still have no explanation from him.
    I do understand from you that it is a tax I have to pay in the circumstances mentioned.

However, a second opinion is felt necessary and I would like your view as to whether a total of E5000 sounds reasonable given the values of the property mentioned in my last message.

Jacky

Dear Jacky,

You're welcome.

A lawyer normally charges 5,000€ plus VAT for an inheritance procedure, to this you must add the paying the Spanish Inheritance tax and plus valĂ*a tax (if applicable).

I doubt you are being charged 5,000€ for plus valĂ*a tax in Marbella on 50% of a 300k property bought in 2006.

It's just impossible. More like 300€.

I'm quite sure that what's happened is that you have not been provided with a full breakdown of fees, expenses and taxes on this procedure.

Request a full breakdown and you will avoid further misunderstandments. Besides, it's your right to request it.

Yours faithfully,

Unregistered

Smile Plus Valia Tax

Thank you so much for your advice. It has been very helpful to know roughly what the costs should be. I will get back to my lawyer and ask for a breakdown of my tax liabilities and costs and hope it clarifies my inheritance taxes position.

I will let you know if the issue is resolved.

Kind Regards
    Jacky

You're welcome Jacky.

It's your right to request a full breakdown of expenses and fees.

Yours faithfully,