We have a small, old-style apartment in a block of eight which also contains a couple of retail units owned by one of the community. Our community charge - payable to an asesoria whose owner also owns one of the apartments but rents it out - tripled last year without explanation. I am not sure who the President is (possibly the owner of the asesoria!), but in any case we have not had an AGM within living memory, nor have any accounts been published. An excuse being offered for this is apparently the fact that a number of the flats is let out.

I am naturally anxious to know how much each flat is paying, and what the money is being spent on. We only have a staircase with communal lighting, a water pump and no lift. Unfortunately I cannot prise any information out of the asesoria; in the past I have simply called once a year to find out how much I owe, and then paid it into the community bank account.

Any advice re what Spanish law says on these matters would be extremely useful before I go on the attack!