Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Spanish Nationality( Citizenship) Through Residency ( Regime Comunitario) Non-EU

Default Spanish Nationality( Citizenship) Through Residency ( Regime Comunitario) Non-EU

Spanish Residence and Citizenship Process through Regime Comunitario Non-EU member married to Spanish Citizen

Every thing started the moment we thought about getting married. Have to remember here in Spain you have get approved by civil registry and immigration before you can get married. Due to increase in marriage fraud. Unlike, other countries you get married first and then you apply for your residency.

In order to get married, I have to produce all the paper need for my immigration status. All of them are valid only for 3 months. You have to remember not all of us are as privilege as others. Some country don't produce a copy of your birth certificate.

In my case my birth certificate is from Inida and it is valid for life and can not easily obtain a copy like other countries. It took me 5 months to get the certificate from my city hall, then I have to sent it to the state capital were it need to be attested, then I have sent it to the ministry of exterior in Delhi ( capital) for apostille . You can imagine by the time I got my birth certificate all my other certificate went out of three months validity. When, I went to the civil registry they refuse to accept my application. I tried to explain the situation. Which they should take in consideration about other country protocols. Finally, after several weeks of begging they finally accepted my application. And got an interview date.

Me and my spouse had an interview with judge and three other gov officials in presence. First the called me in. They asked typical question.
    1: When did I meet my spouse.
    2: Where?
    3: Have i met his parents. And many more.

And then my spouse's turn. Same questions. We have been together for 12 years. So we created an album of photos from the past and properties together.

Once, the interview was finished. The judge asked me when we would like to get married and if we want to get married in the civil court. We said yes to civil and the date. Also within a week we had an interview with the local police station. The police checked my passport and asked few questions to both of us. Following days we got the approval for our marriage date.

When, got married the judge asked us if we want prenuptial agreement stated in our Family book (Marriage certificate). We said yes. Once we got married the judge congratulated as and asked me if need to get out of the country and come back. If so, they can give me some kind of letter or certificate. I said no. Since, I had my
    Schengen Visa. I didn't needed one.

Residence Card process:

We went and applied for residence card ( non-EU married to European). Called family card (Regime Comunitario). I received my card within two months in 2011.

Citizenship process: started Jan 2014.

I lived with my partner for more than a year in Spain and moved to Dubai due to Job and better salary.

Same problems about my birth certificate and my criminal records from the police. The problem is I never lived in India. I lived in the U.S. and Dubai all my life. So I thought I had to get the record from the U.S. Well it was not accepted. So I have to go to India and get one. Uff, you can imagine. Finally, I managed to get one.

We finally got the appointment with the civil registry in Valencia on April 2014. In the interview they asked for all kind of papers. I work in Dubai. So I have to show my salary certificate translated in Spanish. My properties in spain. Along with other required documents. They gave me paper saying that I have applied for nationality with the date. That's it.

No News for long time. Until, now. On Oct 15 th 2015 I received a letter from "Ministerio De Justicia" stating that my documents have reached Madrid they issued me a R number to track my nationality process. Let's hope it gets approved. So far it took me 1 1/2 years to know that my file has reached Madrid.

HELP WITH INFORMATION: If anyone has gone through the same process or know any kind of information will be greatly appreciated. Hope my information help you guys. I would like to know the following:

1: What is the waiting time once you have the "R" Number?
    2: What are the chances for getting approved once it reaches Madrid?
    3: What is the next process? Do I have to go to an interview with police? If, so. What is it after the interview?
    Last edited by pilotsulaiman; 10-23-2015 at 03:49 PM.