Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Immigration Visa Questions

Threaded View

Default Immigration Visa Questions

My wife and I are quite interested in moving into Spain within a year or two. We are specifically interested in living in one of the southern cities like Sevilla, Garanada and Malaga. We currently live in the United States and will retire at ages 40 and 44. My wife was born in Mexico and possesses dual citizenship from USA and Mexico.

I have a few questions...

1. Non-lucrative visa
    We first seek a non-lucrative visa to move to Spain. I read more than a number of sites about the financial requirement. Our intention is to retire in Spain without work. Our investment portfolio without our retirement account is about $700000 USD. We generate $40000 USD to $60000 USD annually from our investment. Is it enough to financially qualify for a non-lucrative visa? If not, do we qualify for the visa with $1M USD?

2. Permanent Residency
    If we qualify for a non-lucrative visa, how long will it take for us to become eligible for permanent residency?

3. Naturalization
    Is it true that my wife would lose her US citizenship after she naturalizes in Spain? I know that she would not lose her Mexican citizenship.

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by maxrios; 03-26-2014 at 04:56 AM.