Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Inheritance - How do I find out if one has been left behind and to claim it?

Gem

Default Inheritance - How do I find out if one has been left behind and to claim it?

Hello,
    My estranged Spanish father passed away in mid-May of this year leaving no will and a piece of property in Madrid. I was not born in Spain though hold dual citizenship. Who do I need to contact to see if there is a possible claim or an inheritance left behind? What other steps do I need to take to find out more information? I have only suceeded in receiving a copy of his death certificate to date. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hello Gem,

The first step is to prove your family relationship with the deceased person and then a Land Registry Search should be carried out to locate the property the deceased owned. The last process would be to start a State transfer based on Inheritance, via an intestate process in Spain so the property was transferred to you; that is, the property and any other assets in your fatherĀ“s name.

If you wish to discuss in detail, please do not hesitate to contact us by email.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile