Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Need ADVISE quickly pls - my car held by police but...

Default Need ADVISE quickly pls - my car impounded by police but...

hi

I need a realy quick advise, I will explain quickly:

my car is registered in Czech republic, I brought it here a year n half ago to Gran Canaria. After six months I started with matriculacion - got ITV, paid all taxes, DUA etc... but I havent finished it as I had to leave and the car stayed parked at the car park in front of our house (public for residents there). The car is still on the CZ plates, been standing there basicaly 9 months now.

But the car has an engine out as my BF has been workin on it... since I wasnt using that car all those 9 months and since it was standing in our car park (public tho) I havent thought it is necesary to finish that matriculacion until the car is drivable again (with an engine in - its a sports car). btw I have european insurance and all stuff along with it intact (have new Green Card now for next year...

Now, the police towed the car away yesterday to their police station.

I went there today with all documents I have (impuesto matriculacion, ITV, DUA etc) - but they were very unhelpful and kinda nasty - as first my spanish is not so good and then they tell me basicaly if I dont register the car here they will keep it!
    and that I should comeback with translator! the reason:

the car is here longer than 6 months thus need to be re-registered on spanish plates...

the thing is though - HOW CAN I FINISH MATRICULACION when my ITV IS OLD 370 days (u must matriculate ur car every year in my case - year >97...
    they will not accept it in TRAFFICO as the ITV must be up to date (mine is older more than 12 months so its not applicable I am afraid..

yet now I cant go on ITV in any way as the car has no engine now and wuld be finished not sooner than in one month any way...!

The police is pretty stupid when they dont get these important details!

what am I supposed to do now? how can I finish matriculation of the car (only if they culd accept ITV older than 1 year) when I cant get new ITV?

what am I suppsed to do bring to the police - as more days = more money to pay...

I was wondering, time ago, I read some article about some law - that gives you possibility of using ur car 183days a year, than leave it not driven in some private car park and than after another 183 days in one calendar year u can use ur car again for another 183 days in the foowing year (as long as the ITV of ur original country is up to date along with insurance... does anybody know more?

I absolutely dont know what to do now... what rights do I have or not...

please need some advise quickly.
    Last edited by evelyn; 06-14-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Hello Evelyn,

I am afraid we are not specialized in that area, so I recommend you to contact an expert gestoria in Traffic issues in the Canary Islands that may be able to assist.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile