Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: where should we be resident

Default where should we be resident

I hope you can advise me.
    My girlfriend and I are both Uk tax resident, we both own homes in the Uk and I have owned a house in Spain for 13 years.
    All our Uk tax affairs are up to date as are my non resident Spanish ones.
    We have decided to spend more time in Spain and have started our young children at school in Spain this week.
    However, we will be retaining a home in the Uk, we both have businesses in the Uk as well as rental income in the Uk.

All our income is Uk based and we have no intention of working in Spain.

We could potentially spend 183 days in Spain but could just as easily spend 183 days in the Uk.

We would prefer to stay tax resident in the Uk until we dissolve or sell our businesses.

It seems the 183 day rule is king but there are tie breaker rules, not only is all our icome from the Uk, our parents and close relatives etc are all in the uk, as are many friends.

Are we duty bound to become Spanish tax resident due to the 183 day rule or can we remain Uk tax resident due to our income base?
    Would the Hacienda accept our situation?
    Thanks if you can help.

Hi, me again. I guess if nobody out there Knows the answer to my post, could anyone suggest a line I could follow, thought about talking to HMRC but you never get a solid answer, my Spanish is too poor to talk directly to the Hacienda and every opinion on Forums seems to be different. Please advise if you can.