I am considering purchasing a property in Spain for use as a vacation house/apartment. I am a US citizen, and do not have residency in Spain or any other EU country. My intention is to use this house/apartment, and to be located in Spain and in the Schengen Area countries for (much) less than 90 days out of every 180.

Nonetheless, I want to be certain I fully understand the legality of what I intend before I go further.

A quick search of the web reveals the restriction below on people who are *not* obligated to carry a visa to cross external borders into the Schengen countries (such as US citizens):

• A short stay is a stay in the Schengen Area lasting less than 90 days or a succession of stays totaling less than 90 days in any period of 6 months.
  • For short stays, European regulations specify the list of countries whose nationals are exempt from visa requirement to enter the Schengen Area. (and this list includes US)

Am I to interpret this as saying that on any day of the year, I need to look back 180 days, and count the number of days I am in any Schengen country, and so long as that number is less than 90, then I am legally in or can legally enter a Schengen country?

Thank you in advance for any light that you can shine on this question.

Regards,
Singer