Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Best way to start process; I live in Miami, Florida

RAhar

Default Best way to start process; I live in Miami, Florida

My future wife and I will be moving from Miami, Fl. to Valencia in the summer of 2014. I am an EFL teacher, with MA-TESOL degree, and was wondering if language centers/schools require any sort of visa. I easily qualify for the non-lucrative visa but I want to work. I am aware of the relaxed EFL world and will most likely find related work. Most language centers do not sponsor work permits/contracts needed to acquire the permit due to short hours/day. My first question is if I apply for the N/L visa, become approved, then could I later seek a work permit after finding a contract/sponsor? If an NIE number is acquired at time of N/L visa receipt, then how do I submit a Spanish Bank note stating the necessary 90k balance (Me + Wife) if an NIE number is required to open a bank account?

Should I apply for NIE, open bank account, wire necessary funds, then apply for N/L Visa?

Hello Rahar,

It is certainly true that Language schools are reluctant to assist in the salaried residence permit application for its overseas teachers as the requirements involve long hours contracts that are not in line with their business management system and the chances of success are not very high in initial cases ( the immigration office approves those permits based on certain types of professions that are on demand, otherwise applications are turned down ).

In the event you attained the Non Lucrative residence permit - bear in mind this can take up to 8 months since you file the application -, you would have the chance to apply for the modification of the permit once you were due to renew the permit, after a year. However, I believe the requirements would still be similar and you might not get it if your sponsor was still a language school. I recommend you to either get a more solid sponsor ( a private school for instance ) when the time comes or apply for the modification to a self-employed work and residence permit if after some time it is convenient to you to register as a sole trader and offer to collaborate with language schools rather than work for them as a salaried worker.

You are not required to have a NIE in hand to be able to apply for the N/L Residence Permit, and in case your Spanish bank required it, that would be a problem, as the Police Station or Spanish consulate ( in case you were still in Miami ) could issue a NIE for you providing you had a letter from the bank requesting it. Once the bank account was opened and funds deposited, you could ask for a bank certificate to support you N/L application.

You will be able to find plenty of information about the Non Lucrative and the Self-employed work and residence permit in the Immigration Forum. If you wish to discuss your case in detail, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile