Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Citizenship of Child born in sevilla Spain

Default Citizenship of Child born in sevilla Spain

Hi,

I am from pakistan and living in Denmark from 5 years. I have a residence permit (Green Card) of Denmark. My wife is pregnant and expected in august 2011. I am going to live in sevilla with my cousin because his wife can take care of my wife. I have some questions.

Can my child get passport or residency in Spain?

How can I travel back to Denmark because my expected child will not have travel documents like passport and Visa?

Thanks in advance
    Nadeem

Hi Nadeem,

Your child will only be able to obtain residency in Spain, if you obtain it first. You should try changing your Danish work and residence permit to a Spanish one, but for this purpose you are going to need to have a job in Spain. With regards to citizenship, a child born in Spain will acquire the citizenship of his /her parents. Only a child which has no nationality is granted Spanish citizenship.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

Thanks Marta for fast reply,

Is it possible to get citizenship of my expected child that I ll refuse the citizenship of my origin (Pakistan) for child? I ll do that by writing application to Spanish citizenship authority that my child will stay in Spain and never use the parents citizenship.

Good to hear from you.

Nadeem