Hello,

I have a question that I believe belongs to this forum and I hope you might be able to help me.

My girlfriend is a Spanish national (and resident). She is a dentist, but she works as a self-employed person (because she works for various clinics). She comes to UK every week and she is half week in Spain and half week here. She was offered a 1 day job here as a dentist and she decided to accept the offer (as a starting point to have UK experience and to move here permanently and work for more clinics just like in Spain).

So the actual situation would be that she would work Monday-Wednesday in Spain (as a registered self-emplyed) and one day here. What is the correct way to address this situation? I assume she has to register in UK as self-employed as well? If so, does she has to make a Tax Statement in UK as a self-employed person too (or only in Spain)? And in which country should she pay the taxes (to avoid double taxation)?

I assume that the answer is that she has to be registered as a self-employed in UK as well as in Spain and that she has to fill Tax statement in both countries. However in only one to pay tax from both countries incomes (probably Spain as works more there and is a resident there) - or potentially pay tax in UK as well but later ask the tax to be returned so that the same income is not taxed twice.

Can someone advice me on this specific situation please?

Thank you very much.

Lukas