Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Studying Law in Spain (in Spanish)

Unregistered

Default NY Lawyer

Hi lawbird,

I must say you are an asset to this forum.

I am a Irish law graduate having complete a law degree, an LLM and qualifying as a NY lawyer.

Both I and a number of my colleagues are considering becoming attorneys in Spain. Do you know the specifics of going before the Education Committee to be homologated? What are the fees charged for homologating? Has the exam come in yet? Is there any way of speeding up the process?

One of the requirements I have heard is that you need the following:

1) Sworn Spanish translated versions of all degrees, masters, law qualifications etc if your degrees and transcipts are not originally in Spanish

Is this correct?

To the previous poster, UK lawyer, I believe you are correct under the EC Directive 98/5 under which lawyers/soliciitors can transfer from one jurisdiction to another. Under it's incorporation into national legislation, solicitors associations require a training period - ie where you are a paralegal for a few years. As part of this, the respective authority can also prevent you from practicing a particular type of law. For example, probate for the Paris Bar.

Kind regards
    Anon

Hi Anon,

Thank you for your kind words.

First of all you are correct in the requirements you point out.

Currently in Spain, unlike other European countries, you do not need to pass a training period to qualify as a lawyer. You can attain a Law degree and immediately request to join one of Spain's regional Bar Associations to practice Law. However, serious law students join Law Practice Schools after attaining their Law degree which is an equivalent to a Master's degree (LL.M. in Law).

However, this is set to change in the near future as a new law, "Ley de Acceso a la AbogacÃ*a", is bound to be passed requiring an exam to be taken to qualify as a lawyer. It'll be an equivalent to your US Bar exam. It is still uncertain what this exam will consist on, as negotiations are ongoing. It has generated gerat controversy. But it seems it will consist on both multiple choice questions besides two practical cases. A Law graduate will be required to study additionally 100 credits in a period spaning two years before being able to take this exam.

The introduction of this new law will bring an unexpected consequence to the labor market. Between 2012 and 2013 there will be no Law graduates available in Spain to be recruited as they will all be studying the compulsory 2 year Master to take the Bar exam.

More on this new law:

http://www.expansion.com/2010/05/11/...273571937.html

Yours faithfully,

Anon

Default Aborogado vs Procuradores

Dear Lawbird,

Thank you very much for the update. That is very helpful. I have one more query.

In my research, I have come accross the difference between an abrogado and the 'Colegio de Procuradores'. From my understanding, while an abrogado can conduct legal work and call themselves an "Abrogado", they are not allowed to represent people in court. Only someone admitted to the 'Colegio de Procuradores' can represent people in court. Is that correct? or would I have to join both to respresent people in court?

I would be grateful if you could advise me what steps and what Province is relevant for me to be admitted to the appropriate Bar-Professional bodies in Spain for appointment as:

1] Abogado and the appropriate Colegio de Abogados.
    [2] Colegio de Procuradores and the appropriate Consejo General de Ilustres Colegios de Procuradores de los Tribunales de España.

I have called and emailed icam.es and have received no response.

Many thanks in advance

kind regards
    ANON

Dear Anon,

You are welcome.

A procurador is a court agent that liases between us, the lawyers who speak before the judge ruling the matter, and the law court. They do most of the required leg work, they do not defend the case before the judge, that is reserved to us. So basicalLy they act as a conveyance belt between lawyers and law courts.

Procuradors have also attained a Law degree.

Regarding me giving you the details of all the Bar Associations and Procurador Associations in Spain I could be posting here all morning long. They will all come up in a Google search.

If you want the contact details of one in particular, just let me know. You do realize there are 83 of them?

http://www.cgae.es/portalCGAE/printP...001/es_ES.html

Yours faithfully,

Unregistered

Hello Lawbird,

I would like to ask your opinion, what the best way in my situation..
    I am from Lithuania (continentaly law system) and now I'm moving to live in Madrid. In Lithuania university I got master degree in law and then 2 years I worked for government as the civil servant in the position of lawyer. I have just started to learn spanish.
    I understand, that I need to validate my diploma in Spain. But what are the best steps for me, if I wish as soon as possible to start practisize as a lawyer in Spain?
    Can I find a law school (better, if it is not private), where I can study spanish and recognize with spanish law at the same time in Madrid? Is it possible? Or I must to learn fluently spanish and then go to law school in Madrid? Would you recommend the website, where I can find these law schools..

Thanks

Eva

Unregistered

Hi! I am interested in contacting the colegio de abogados in Barcelona for the homologation. Could you help me get their contact details please. Thanks for your help.

Default ICAB contact details

Hello,

This is the website of the Ilustre Colegio de Abogados de Barcelona:

http://www.icab.cat

You can find there their contact details as well as other useful information.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

thank you very much, that was so fast!

Unregistered

Hello
    I am a student from London, I am doing LLB Law and I just have completed my second year in uni. Next year will be my last and I will obtain LLB law degree and I plan to move in Madrid. Could you please help me with some info, what I have to do to become a lawyer in Spain? After the uni I will not be qualified in UK, as I have to pass the BPTC or LPC and then to complete 1-2 year work experience, my question is am I qualified in Spain just with LLB law degree? I will do my best to learn spanish language and also I would like to do LLM in Spain( if I could afford it financialy), but please help me to find the best route in Spain. I would like to practice Sports Law and if you could give me info about that it will be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!
    Regards
    Tammy

UMA

Default Studying law in spain

If you are interested in practising law internationally and doing your university studies abroad, try looking at the program of combined Spanish law degree with English law studies at Malaga University in Spain: www.derecho.uma.es.com