Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by emettdc View Post
    I am planning to do what Antonio has done here, i.e. get a non-lucrative visa and reside in Spain for 2 years to meet the 2-year residency requirement for Spanish citizenship. I have some follow-up questions:

1. I have dual citizenship, US and Philippines, with Philippines as my original country of birth and original nationality. Am I still qualified to apply for Spanish nationality under the 2-year residency requirements for Filipinos, despite my US citizenship?

2. What proof do I have to submit for this 2-year residency requirement? Once I get to Spain with my Non-Lucrative (NL) Visa, do I have to register to get some sort of Spanish residency ID and this will be the proof? Or stamp in my passport that I have arrived and using the NL visa is sufficient?

3. Aside from 2-year residency requirement, are there other requirements for Spanish citizenship? Like
    a. Passing Spanish proficiency test?
    b. Passing written exam about Spanish history?
    c. Having certain amount in the bank?
    d. Is there an age limit to apply for Spanish nationality? (am 53 now).
    e. Etc.

4. I read that it will take at least 2 years to process the Spanish citizenship application. Is this right? So with the 2-year residency requirement plus the 2 years of citizenship processing, it will take 4 years before I get my Spanish citizenship? If so, can I shorten this by applying for citizenhsip after 1 year of residency since by the time they finish processing the application, I will surely have met the 2 years of residency requirement.

Thank you.

Emett
    I'm in the exact same situation as you Emett! I will be watching closely and hopefully you'll get a good answer. I gave up my filipino citizenship when i naturalized in the US. I'm wondering if I need to reacquire it before getting my non-lucrative visa in Spain. Good luck!

Hello San Diego and Emmettdc,

As long as the Philippine Passport is valid, you can use the Philippine nationality to apply for the Spanish citizenship, regardless the fact you used the US passport to apply for Spanish residency and the reason for this is that you are Philippine by origins. San Diego, if there is the possibility for you to recover your Philippine nationality you could consider it if your intention is to eventually become a Spanish citizen.

Once you become a Spanish resident; that is, you get your residence visa stamped on your passport to enter Spain, you are allowed 3 months to apply for the residence card at the corresponding Police Station of the province where you are settling. That card will prove you are a resident, but you will have to respect the 185 days per year in Spain and Schengen area to be able to keep that status. After 2 years you must file the renewal application for two additional years, and the documentation required will be the one that proves your financial situation remains the same as when you initially applied.

You do not need to pass a Spanish language and History exam when you file your Spanish citizenship application but you will be interviewed about your profile, current financial and personal situation and time you have spent in Spain. Additionally, you will be asked questions related to contemporary Spanish culture and events, as well as names of Spanish Popular People ( Monarchy, Politics, Culture, Celebrities, etc ). There is no age limit to apply for the Spanish Nationality.

The Nationality application can take about two years to be resolved after its application but this time cannot be reduced as you are not eligible until you have completed two years of legal residency in Spain; that is, two years since your residence card has been issued. If you apply after one year of legal residency your application will be turned down as you are not eligible at that moment.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Hello Patricia,

Thanks for the great response about the question of San Diego and Emmett regarding Spanish citizenship for i am and my family are in similar situations, most of the questions that i have in mind are been answered with your expertise and i am learning a lot on this forum. keep up the good work.

Nathaniel