Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Hybrid View

To Patricia,

Hope you could give me some answers. My mom (born in Philippines and grand-daughter of a Spanish born in Spain) was granted Spanish Citizenship through Law of Historical Memory. I understand that said law confers Spanish Citizenship "de Origen" thus I presume she is one. If she is Spanish de Origin, could she pass on to me Spanish Citizenship though I was already of age of majority when her name was registered in the Spanish Consulate in Manila?

Hello Vicente

As the son of a current Spanish citizen who was granted the Spanish Nationality based on the Historical Memory Law 57/2007, you are not entitled to Spanish Nationality right away, but You have the following options:

- Reside legally in Spain during one year. After that, you will be eligible for the Spanish Nationality by residence, as the son or grandson of a Spanish citizen.

- If your mother got the Spanish Nationality but she does not want to reside in Spain, her children are able to apply for Family Settlement, as your mother is considered a Spanish citizen by origins. Once being a resident, you apply for the Spanish Nationality after a year.

- If your mother wishes to reside in Spain, all her direct relatives ( children under 18, and spouse ) can apply for the residence card as relative of an EU citizen residing in Spain. Once being a resident, you apply for the Spanish Nationality after a year.

If you wish to learn more about the Spanish Nationality application and the documents required, click on the Ministry of Justice website link here.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Thank you so much, Patricia, for a prompt reply. Though it's sad I won't qualify for citizenship right away as I would like to preserve it for the succeeding generations of our family. It's kind of ironic that an adult adoptee of a Spaniard could do it easier than me who is a real flesh and blood of a Spanish de Origen.