First of all: thank you very much for this Forum. I do hope that you will be able to help me with my dilemma as I have tried to resolve it amicably myself with little success. I'll try to explain this complicated scenario as clearly and concisely as I can.

In March 2009 I signed a contract for an 11 months rental for a two bedroomed property I love very much. I explained very clearly that I wanted a longer tenancy and so a clause was introduced guaranteeing a continued tenancy for a further 11 months. This was signed by both partoes. I paid the leasing agent (whom I have not seen from that day to this) half the agreed rent.
Two of the clauses were as follows:

That
there were no grievances against the property that would affect my rights as a tenant
the landlords were responsible for paymenmt of the community fees
the rent would be paid directly into the landlord's bank account

Within a month I was approached by the landlords to pay the rental in cash as it was "more convenient". Until October of last year (i.e. 7 months into my tenancy) I had received no receipts. I approached one of the landlords with a list of paynents for both rent and utilities and this was then signed.
What has been more distressing was that I found out in October that the landlords owed almost 5000 in community fees which remained unpaid. I as told by both the Community and the landlords that court action had been sought by both. I was told though a notice pout under my door to apply for a new security code, which I did not do. I was then told by the Community's lawyer that my friends would not be allowed access to the urbanisation (which is quite large) and that I would not be able to enjoy the facilities of the urbanisation (spa, pool, golf access). At that point I contacted the owners and was told that they were doing everything they could to rectify the situation. They asked for my patience. I have been very patient. My patience has now worn thin!
Now four months on they are insisting that I must sign another contract under the same terms/rental charges as before.
I have done everything I can to secure my continued peace and quiet here but to no avail. I even approached the lawyers for the community and suggested that I deduct the ongoing fees from my rent and pay them directly. Their only suggestion was that I pay all the disputed amount directly or my rights of access would continue to be restricted.
Initially, at the beginning of this month I deposited the full rental into a new bank account and informed the owner that I would be willing to pay the rent and sign a new contract once he had proved to me that the encumbrances to my tenancy had been lifted. I shortly after changed my mind as I was told this had affected their ability to pay their mortgage and deposited the rent, minus 200 euros, into the landlord's bank account since I felt that as they had defaulted on the initial conditions of the "contract" this was my only option to try to defend my position. Incidentally, properties similar to mine are now renting at 150 - 200 euros less than a year ago, even if the rights of access are free and clear. This to me is not important: I am prepared to pay the agreed rent, but I want my rights of enjoyment restored as is my right.
I have now been informed by the landlord's lawyer that they will be taking legal action against me to reclaim the 200 euros that they feel is owing.
I have tried to resolve this problem even offering to buy some of the furniture to help them to repay the debt but this too has been ignored.
I love my home. The idea of moving will be expensive and stressful. My health has suffered as a result of this ongoing situation. I have stated very clearly at the outset that I was expecting a long unmolested tenancy and that I am more than willing to sign a lease for the agreed amount provided the landlords can legally state that the stated encumbrances against my full rights as tenant have been dealt with with the community, and removed.
I cannot afford to, nor do I wish to, get engaged in a long court battle. I have been an exemplary tenant who does not wish to move. I even stated initially that guaranteed a long tenancy I might be willing to buy the apartment. As it is I truly don't know what to do next?
Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated.
Sincerely Yours,
A Good Tenant