Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: forced complete

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    When we received our file from them there was no Bank Guarantee. I asked them if they had misplaced it and their reply was, 'The developer failed to do his duty and supply one'.

My Questions.

1.Should I sue the lawyers for gross negligence??
    2. What do you think would be the outcome?
    3. What would be the approximate cost.
    4. Where would I find another lawyer with the ability to do this?
    5. Would I get back my deposits and also the money that I paid the lawyer for a) Power of attorney ,b) conveyancing services, plus interest and damages?

Thank you.
    Dear Sir,

Further to your queries,

1. You may sue the lawyer if you wish alleging professional negligence and claiming on his professional indemnity insurance.
    2. We just wouldn't know as it depends on the judge to rule on this matter. However, Law 57/68 stipulates penalties for the developer that fails to comply with this not for the lawyer as not everyone will hire a lawyer to do the conveyance.
    3. It depends on many factors, we are unable to give you a general answer. In any case your lawyer should always provide you a Letter of Engagement with a full breakdown of legal fees and expenses as we do. If you don't agree to it, you don't sign it.
    4. Propose your case to any lawyer. They must be proficient in litigation however.
    5. The outcome will vary. In any case if you claim form thier professional indemnity insurance you could recover the deposits plus compensation and interests depending on the judge's ruling. I doubt you would be able to recover the POA and their professional fees.
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 12-01-2008 at 03:01 PM.