Hi,

I am wanting to apply for a spanish citizenship through origin. I called the spanish consulate today and asked about whether I would have to renounce my Australian citizenship. I was told that I would be signing a document stating I will renounce my Australian citizenship however, this document will not be sent to any Australian Officials and will be kept with the Spanish Consulate. I have a few concerns with this which are;

1. What is the exact statement being made in the document, is it that I HAVE renounced my citizenship or that I WILL renounce my citizenship. If it is saying I have, this would clearly be a lie and wouldnt there be consequences?
2. Is the Spanish embassy, after a while, able to send the document to the Australian government and in turn I am forced to give up my citizenship?

I would really really appreciate a response from someone who has been through this or has knowledge about it, as I have asked both the Australian Immigration and the Spanish and have not been given much help!

Thanks