Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Nie Number

wendy

Default Nie Number

I'm about to complete on a property in Estepona and my solicitor says I need to travel to Spain to apply for my nie number. Is it possible to arrange it through the Spanish consulate in the UK?

Dear Madame,

There is no need for you to travel over to Spain unless of course you want to enjoy our wonderful weather and food!

We can arrange the NIE Number application on your behalf by means of a specific Power of Attorney (POA) limited exclusively to request the NIE number.

We can offer you that legal service; in less than 2 weeks you will have your NIE number.

Please browse our website and fill in the online form and we will contact you: Nie Number Direct.

You will save yourself having to book holidays, book a flight, hotels, taxis etc...

wendy

Thank you for your reply. From that site I understand I need to give power of attorney to nie direct. My solicitor already has power of attorney but insists he cannot apply on my behalf. Please advise.

Dear Madam,

Yes, I'm sorry without a POA we cannot apply for it on your behalf. It's a very specific POA with only one clause.

Perhaps your lawyer should outsource the NIE number application over to us.

Regards,
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 01-30-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Administrator

Default NIE Number

It may be the case that the power of attorney doesn't include the right clause, as Lawbird points out, or it's just that your lawyer might not want (or have the time) to queue up at the police office for hours to have your NIE Number arranged. But you certainly don't have to travel to Spain to apply in person.

Another possibility is that you apply through the Spanish consulate in the UK. However, I don't recommend this option, especially if you are in a hurry to complete, as it may take up to 6 months to get your NIE Number delivered.