Hi,
I am about to take over the tenancy contract from my best friend who was the old tenant of an apartment in Barcelona. I have been in the property for 18 months and my friend 7 years before then. The landlord is aware of this and as the current contract expires in February I intend to sign a new contract. Is it possible to purely extend the current contract with a name change? I would not like to face a rental increase because of a contract change.

Anyway, I have to leave Spain for 8 months from February because of a work contract and I have a friend who wants to take it whilst I am away. Even though he is a friend, when it comes to matters like this I prefer to be safe rather than sorry. Am I able to take out a sublet contract with him? where by I sublet the flat without relinquishing possession as the main tenant and then have no problems moving back in. If there are any rent paying problems am I able to simply remove them as they have no contract with the owner. Of course it shouldn't come to this but I don't want any problems upon my return. Should I ask for a deposit against my furniture which is in the flat? Do I have to give them notice to leave as sub tenants, and is a legal contract possible between a tenant and sub tenant? Thanks

Craig Coupe