Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Can we hand back the keys to our property?

Christine

Default Can we hand back the keys to our property?

I have read your article on Spanish mortgages and although we are not in default fear that our mortgage which is at present interest only will be unaffordable in April when our 2 year interest only option ceases. We have not advertised the property for sale and in any case know that the amount we would receive after expenses would not clear our mortgage. The property was valued in March 2008 and we were allotted an 80% mortgage. I do feel that this was probably a mistake that the Bank made in valuing as property was on the decline then in Spain. I have heard that we could possible request the Bank to take over our property so that they do not come after us in England but because of the high amount of loan to value feel it may be unlikely. Please can you advise what our options are?

Dear Christine,

The bank may or may not take the property from you, this possibility is discretionary and therefore you need to negotiate this with the bank. The first answer you will get is a no and if you really wish to put pressure on them you will be required to stop making payments, even if this cost you money (arrears etc.).

If you agree with the bank and you are not in Spain we can assist you with transferring ownership to the bank in exchange for the loan.

Kind regards
    Antonio Flores
    Abogado/Lawyer
    Lawbird Legal Services | Contact Me
    Instagram | Read my Blog