Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spanish Inheritance Tax: Advantages of Making a Will in Spain

John Macpherson

Default Spanish Inheritance Tax: Advantages of Making a Will in Spain

I'm a bit confused. As a non-resident intending to buy a property in Andalucia I thought my inheritance tax problems were gone as I could bequeath my 50% share to my two children, who are both non resident and over 21 up to a total property value of 750,000 euros. However later discussion seems to indicate that only residents obtain the benefits of having a taxable base below 175000 euros. Can you please clarify this?

Yvonne Walker

My husband and I are resident in Murcia and have made a Spanish will bequeathing our resoective 50% to each other and then our 3 children who are over 21 and living in the UAE and UK. Do the same rules regarding IHT in Andalucia apply in Murcia?

kim anderson

My parents have been residents of Lanzererote for 20 years. They own a property worth 1 million euros with no mortgage they have a Spanish will and an English will for a small amount of savings. There are 3 children what is the best way to save IHT. We can transfer to the children now if it would help they are all living in the UK.

Hello Kim,

Have a look at my blog post on the matter (I hate quoting myself ) after which we can discuss this in detail. As you can see, inheriting 300.000 Euros can be rather expensive (over 50k Euros) so it is important that you put some mechanism in place to avoid this.

From the information you tell me I would probably opt for incorporating a Spanish limited company (1% Stamp Duty plus around 2k Euros company incorporation costs) and then, within 3 years, have the shares transferred from your parents to you.

This would also help you avoid non-resident property income tax as companies don't pay this tax.
    Antonio Flores
    Abogado/Lawyer
    Lawbird Legal Services | Contact Me
    Instagram | Read my Blog

Hello Yvonne,

No, you have specific rules in Murcia which will be applicable between your husband and yourself, but not in respect of your children inheriting, as they are non-residents. Your inheritance tax will be 99% exempt in this case, without limitation.
    Antonio Flores
    Abogado/Lawyer
    Instagram | Read my Blog

james kendrick

my partner passed away recently and we only have an english will covering our spanish property. We are non;residents but are padron. Our property is in valencia region and worth £175000 euros. I am liable to pay IHT on my half?

Dear James,

Please accept my condolences in respect of the death of your partner.

IHT wil be applicable in this case, as you are a non-resident for tax purposes. Do you have a mortgage on your property?

Regards
    Antonio
    Antonio Flores
    Abogado/Lawyer
    Instagram | Read my Blog

Roy Maddick

My daughter is a Spanish Resident living in Madrid.
    She will inherit money when her Grandfather dies - will she need to declare this money and pay IHT?
    Regards
    Roy

Legal Consultant

Dear Roy,

Yes, if her grandparents are in Spain, she will. However, bear in mind that depending on the amount being transferred she may qualify for a tax exemption.

Regards,
    Last edited by lawbird; 12-03-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Legal Consultant
    Lawbird Spanish Lawyers

lyndsay mcroberts

Looking for advice, my in laws own a property near malaga no mortgage worth approx 170000 euros. My mother in law recently died they have no spanish will what would he be expected to pay in tax etc what is best way to proceed?