Dear Mr Davies

I'm glad you found my article on the advantages of making a Spanish Will useful.

I wrote it with that specific purpose on mind as foreigners seemed to be oblivious to the many legal and financial advantages their appointed heirs would have (namely saving them money, time and hassle at a time of bereavement) on following my simple advice.

Regarding your query, there are very important tax allowances if you are resident in the Canary Islands and have been so at least for the prior 5 years of the death (to the point that no tax is payable).

However as you are resident in the UK you cannot take advantage of said lenient regional tax allowances specific to the Canary Islands. In your case the general inheritance law woudl be applied (State level) which few tax allowances are already detailed in my article which starts off this very thread.

I suggest you read our article on the matter which specifically deals with this:

Spanish Inheritance Tax: How much is it? - 1st February 2000

I cannot see you paying 1% on a €200,000 taxabale base being domiciled in the UK.

And to close, we do not provide free tax assessments. You would need to hire us to provide you this legal service.

Sincerely
Raymundo LarraÃ*n Nesbitt