Hi guys!
I'm not sure if I'm writing in the right thread, so I beg your pardon if I do something wrong. I'm from Minsk, Belarus and this August me and my girlfriend decided to spend a vacation in Barcelona. We decided to go by car and everything was wonderful until the last day when we've got into the traffic accident. The Spanish guy on the van was responsible for this accident, so he provided me with his insurance company information (which is a liable party for this accident).
In the last day of our stay in Spain that insurance company had arranged an expert to check damages in the vehicle, but the expert could only take some pictures and said that she cannot calculate anything because she specializes in different vehicles.
So we agreed with an insurance company that we will go back in Minsk and make an Inspection Report, so the insurance company will calculate the damage based on the price of pieces and labor hours (this report includes all photos and the list of damages and parts, along with the amount of labor hours needed for repair). I've sent this report, but I was told that I should calculate all the damages here, in Minsk because the prices of pieces and labor are different in Belarus and Spain. And the car is going to be repaired in Belarus. I was also told that this insurance company will not cover my expenses to prepare this inspection report. I always thought that it is up to me where am I going to repair my vehicle and Spanish insurance company should calculate the sum of money they will pay based on this report, according to Spanish laws, because the accident took place in Barcelona. And I was totally shocked when I was told that they will not even cover my Inspection Report expenses.
So maybe someone can help me and tell if the insurance company in Spain has the right to demand the calculation of damages according to Belarusian laws and refuse to calculate this damages according to Spanish laws (e.g. according to Spanish labor hours, parts prices, etc.)? And do they have the right to refuse covering Inspection Report expenses?
Thank you, hope someone can help me as I have no idea how these things should normally work in Spain