Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: House in joint names, end of relationship

Unregistered

Default House in joint names, end of relationship

Hi,

I have a house in Spain that I paid for but it is in mine and my partners names.

Our relationship has come to an end, I was foolish to put the property in our names rather than just mine when I paid for it. Is she now entitled to half the house?

Thanks

Hello

She is certainly entitled to half the house if she is a joint owner with you, holding a 50% share. Nevertheless, you can file Court claim for half of the house maintenance expenses, providing you can prove ( by documented evidences ) she paid nothing or too little towards it, leaving the responsibility entirely on you.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

I have a house in Spain that I paid for but it is in mine and my partners names.

Our relationship has come to an end, I was foolish to put the property in our names rather than just mine when I paid for it. Is she now entitled to half the house?

Thanks
    The same happened to me with a house I bought in France, I was such a fool. So many problems when I divorced my wife. I hope you got the house.
    Last edited by ifv; 05-16-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Removed spam

I once had a similar situation. As I understand it, she is entitled to 50% of my property, but with good lawyers you can safely count on more

The same happened to me. If you don't want your partner to be entitled to 50% of the house you should file a Court claim. Be aware you'll probably be required to prove that you took care of all the expenses derived from the house / mortgage payments.