Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Singaporean wanting a citizenship in Spain

Hybrid View

Default Singaporean wanting a citizenship in Spain

Dear sir/madam....will the 1 year residency proof applicable for singaporean who is keen to get citizenship by marriage?

Hi Emamsh,

Regardless of your nationality , marrying a Spaniard will enable you to request citizenship after having been married for a year. The other requirement being having resided legally in Spain for one year.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

thank you so much on your kind response...that is very helpful.

1.Is marriage to a spaniard the only option to get a spanish citizenship?
    2.How long the process takes to apply for a citizenship after married for a year and resided in Spain legally for a year in addition to that?

thank you so much

Hi Emamsh,

You're welcome!

Marriage is certainly not the only path to requesting Spanish citizenship. You can also opt for it via residence. Providing you aren't a citizen of any of the Spanish ex-colonies, of Sephardic origin, born in Spain or have any Spanish ancestors, then the legal residence period required for Spanish citizenship is of ten years. On average the processing time is of two years.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

Wow.....10 years is too long a wait......i guess the minimum waiting time will be 3years taking into consideration the residency starts counting from the time i got married?....is there any fast track to this process...? thank you so much on your kind response....regards emamsh

Quote Originally Posted by emamsh View Post
    Wow.....10 years is too long a wait......i guess the minimum waiting time will be 3years taking into consideration the residency starts counting from the time i got married?....is there any fast track to this process...? thank you so much on your kind response....regards emamsh
    sorry just to add ..... during the processing time of 2yrs do i still need to be a resident in Spain? do i need to clock the residency status?...could i travel for work overseas?