Sorry, I wasn't sure what the best category was for this (Immigration vs. Taxes) so I'm posting in both.

OK, here's the deal:

1. I'm an American, US-born citizen currently living in Miami, FL.

2. I'm married to a Spaniard and we have two kids. Our kids both have Spanish passports (as well as US ones).

3. I lived in Spain in the past, was a resident (working for a Spanish company) from 2001-2006. The residency expired some years back but I still have a NIF because it was used on my paperwork last year when we bought a beachfront apartment in Alicante.

Also, we have a Libro de Familia, etc.

4. I now have my own company, mostly with US-based clients and most of what I do is virtual/online.

5. We're considering moving back to Spain in a few months. I would continue to operate my business remotely as always with my US-based clients, be paid in US dollars and have no need to work in Spain, take jobs from Spaniards etc. I can prove sufficient income and savings to life off of, provide bank statements, tax returns etc.

6. What type of visa/residency should I apply for? I've read about the "non lucrative visa" or alternatively becoming a non-fiscal resident. My hope is to continue paying all of the taxes in the US that I always do (The United States taxes on worldwide income and I have every intention to play things by the book with the IRS) while NOT paying Spanish income tax. I would like to avoid double taxation obviously if at all possible.

So, my bottom line questions are: what should I do? What type of visa/residency should I apply for? What are pros and cons of each? Anything else I should be aware of? Any other suggestions?