Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: From student to permanent resident

Default From student to permanent resident

Hi. Can you let me know my options as a Nigerian student seeking to apply for Spanish permanent residency? I presently have my first NIE/student card which will expire in few months.
    Thanks. O/

Good morning, you will be able to change the nature of your residence permit in the event that you have held your student visa in Spain for at least 3 years.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Good morning, you will be able to change the nature of your residence permit in the event that you have held your student visa in Spain for at least 3 years.
    Hi Marta, I have read on this forum that one needs atleast 5 years of residency status before being eligible for permanent residence ? Please confirm that it is only 3 years!

In addition, I have also read that in general the student NIE is not considered as being a resident. So these years do not actually count. Is that so ?

Please confirm that it is only 3 years Hi Marta, I have read on this forum that one needs atleast 5 years of residency status before being eligible for permanent residence ?

Hello Curieroy,

You will be able to opt for permanent residency after 5 years of legal residence in Spain.
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Shid View Post
    Hi Marta, I have read on this forum that one needs atleast 5 years of residency status before being eligible for permanent residence ? Please confirm that it is only 3 years!

In addition, I have also read that in general the student NIE is not considered as being a resident. So these years do not actually count. Is that so ?
    A student visa or ' tarjeta de estudiante' will not be considered for citizenship purposes.
    Marta Flores
    Check My Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Dear Marta,

Thank you for your response and happy Semana Santa.

I am a bit unclear about your comment. My student visa was for three months then I was issued a tarjeta de estudiante on arrival in Spain. The tarjeta is to serve me for a year. Now that I am planning to go for an MBA that would require that I extend my stay in Spain by a year, do I need to apply for a visa or how do I have a student visa in Spain for at least 3 years as you'd mentioned?

I look forward to your prompt response. Thank you.

Olu