Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Transfer of Spanish property

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Shefford England

    Default Transfer of Spanish property

    My father-in-law would like to transfer ownership of his Spanish property to my wife. Can you please advise us if this is legal and if so, what costs/taxes are we likely to incur?
    Any advice would be welcome, either legal or if a forum member has any experience of this situation.
    Thank you in advance.
    Kind regards
    Last edited by Bryan; 01-06-2015 at 07:53 PM.

  2. #2


    Hello Bryan,

    Your father in Law can either transfer ownership by donation or by leaving his estate to his daughter in his will so she will take ownership after his demise. Generally speaking, IHT is lower than donation taxes so this is the option we recommend, though it is also dependent on other circumstances such as location of the property, age of the heir/beneficiary, value of assets. etc, so a particular study of the case is required, as there are local and regional exemptions.

    IHT Taxes for non residents have been recently lowered to be equalized to the taxes a resident in Spain pays, so they have been reduced compared to the taxes that were applied a few months back.

    If you wish, you can send us an email using our website contact form so we provide with detailed advice based on the particular case.

    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts