Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: capital gains tax

Hybrid View

Hello,

The information given above is correct, but it can be restricted when it comes to point out that the seller of the UK property is a Spanish resident.

The sale in the UK is declared in the Annual Income tax declaration, where for instance the price was 150.000 Euros and 10% ( 15.000 ) was paid for capital gain taxes. The Spanish Tax office will calculate what the profit would have been if the transaction had taken place in Spain ( for instance, 15% tax, 22.500 Euros). As Spain and UK have a doble taxation treaty, the Tax officer will ask the Spanish resident to pay the difference between the taxes paid in UK and the taxes such a transaction attracts in Spain. In our example, it would be the difference between 22.500 and 15.000; that is, 7.500 Euros.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Hello,
    I wonder if someone can help me!
    I have been a spanish resident since 2000 and i bought a property in 2002 more or less.
    I sold the property october 2013 and me and my ex partner have made quite a big profit each. Because i stopped work in october 2009, i didnt do La Renta as i thought it wasnt necessary.
    When i sold the property they then classed me as a non resident and i had to pay the 3% tax for non resident! i am in the middle of trying to claim it back.
    I am very worried though as i have to do La renta in May, but as i havent worked because caring for my children, i am worried that they will take alot of this money because ive made so much profit! as the money is what i am living from.
    I went to a tax advisor when i did the papers to claim back 3% non resident (and were still waiting for there reply), i told him my concerns about La renta and he said that becasue i dont work and have 2 small children maybe they will take this into account, and i might not have to pay much or nothing?
    Im really worried they will take alot of this money, as most of it has been used already for living!
    I would be greatful for any help and advice!
    Thank you.