Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Gross Negligence by Lawyer?

Default Gross Negligence by Lawyer?

Hi,

In 2009 our divorce finalized and the house we have in Spain was in part allokated to me. This division of property was to be registered with the Notary and we contacted a Swedish Lawfirm in Malaga to handle the paperwork. 4 years later he has still not registered the change of ownership, and now, my ex-husband is telling everyone I do not own the house and have no right to make any decisions pertaining to it, that he can sell it at will, and because of this, we lost a two-year lease. The lawyer in question has repeatedly over the years promised this would be done before he would go on leave, vacation, lengthy court proceedings, whatever, but he has so far not held his word. I have asked to go to Malaga and take care of it with him, by myself, with someone else, but he's told me it's not necessary because he would make sure to do it. And now, when I'm being threatened by my ex-husband and stand to lose my part in the house and suffer economic damages, he avoids me and has his secretary finally call up asking me to put more money into his account!!! I told him there was no way I would pay him anymore money until he got this done, and even then, he should be aware that I consider this to be gross negligence on his part and that it could at worst end up in a question of him owing me for damages due to it. His staff will not give me the number of the person who is responsible for the firm, and I see no way of getting help from the Spanish Bar Association as I do not speak Spanish, and there is no information in English. What can I do to get him to register the change of ownership, and where can I turn to get the help I need to sort this out? Grateful for suggestions and responses, as I see no option other than to get on a plane and go to Spain to sort it out. Would still need Spanish speeking help, and I would prefer to put pressure on the lawyer to just get this done if possible. Is there anywhere to turn?

It has now come to my attention through legal contacts in Sweden that this firm, which used to do good work a few years back, has had it's license revoked by the Spanish Bar Association. The owner has also withdrawn his license with the Swedish Bar Association. Former clients have turned to other legal offices as they have been scammed for money and yet the legal work has been well below what could be expected and never finalized. I have posted questions as to what ethics they follow and also if they have liability insurance to cover as I stand to make a financial loss due to their negligence. It also turns out the work he told me was done in 2010, he actually hasn't done at all. (Which I also paid him for). Also, he told me there was some paperwork that didn't come in until 2012, but he can't tell me what paperwork or send me any fax to prove it. (There is none). His only response is, after numerous emails, how much can I pay him in advance..?? I've made it very clear there will be no more advances, and why, yet it's the only thing he comes back with each time. I can't beleive this is what could be expected by any standards, Spanish or otherwise, but what I really wonder, is how I can go about getting necessary legal translations of Swedish court orders and actually registering the asset division with the Notary Public in Spain myself. I understand I actually do not need a lawyer, but can anyone tell me how to go about it, and does anyone possibly have any references to dependable representation (anyone who can help get this done), in the Malaga/Almunecar area? Feeling slightly desperate at the moment, and more so as Spanish is not a language I master too well past the occasional restaurant visit... grateful for any suggestions or tips on what to expect and how to proceed...

Hello Lady,

I´m a spanish lawyer, living in Murcia, but maybe I could help you. I should to check the documents (above all the notary's document). So if it's everything all right, process will be really simple. About the complaint for damages to the lawyer who is bringing your case now, i have not enough information to reply you to that question, so i need more information.
    If you want, you can contact me by email (alvaro.banon@icamur.org) or skype: alvaro.banon.lopez
    Thanks for your time,

Álvaro Bañón