Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landlord: Keys to Successful Rental Income

ozjlthfo

Default Landlord: Keys to Successful Rental Income

This is the discussion thread for the article Landlord: Keys to Successful Rental Income

--
    Last edited by ifv; 04-27-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spam

Anne Bopst

My Dutch tenant has stopped paying rent he has no contract with me in Spain. He has a contract in Holland with the agent that gave me this rental. His contract in Holland is for 10 months ending on december 31 2009. Can I change the locks and evict him? I am English. Thank you for any advice

Dear Madam,

You have a whole section of this website devoted to landlords and tenants in Spain:Landlord / Tenant Issues

I strongly suggest you read my article on the matter:

How to Evict a Tenant who is not Paying the Rent - 17th December 2007

Regardless if the tenancy is short or long term one, you will need to have them legally evicted. I take for granted your tenancy agreement had no arbitration clause.

In which case you would have to hire a litigation lawyer to initiate the formal eviction procedure. You cannot evict them on your own or shut off the utilities else they could file a report against you before the Spanish police which could lead to you being sentenced to prison.

We can offer you our Tenant Eviction for a Spanish Property:

Who is it intended for:

This service is provided to landlords that have a non-paying tenant in their Spanish property (either a dwelling or commercial premises).

What does the service include?

• Analysis of the case and legal advice.
    • Preparing and filing your suit.
    • Dealing with court proceedings.
    • Attending judicial hearings and submitting evidence.
    • Claiming unpaid rents before the Spanish Courts.
    • What are the steps?

We will first try to reach an amicable agreement.

If this fails, we resort to taking legal action. It generally takes less than a year on average to have the tenant evicted.

If you are interested in hiring this legal service, please email us. We act nationwide.

Yours faithfully,
    Raymundo LarraĆ*n Nesbitt

Nubia Cabrera Ortega

I have tenants in the Canaries from an inheritance which pay 90 Euros a a month because they have been in the building for a long time and the contracts are very old. What are my rights as a landlord. My email is :nubia_c_ortega@hotmail.com

Angela McMahon

Hi, firstly thanks a million for all your invaluable advice and guidance on your web pages.
    I have a typical case on my hands of a tenant not paying rent. Now I am out of pocket for 4 months rent plus services (11 month lease). At this stage I have lost my job & my husband's work is cut to a 2 day week. So I cannot actually afford to pay both mortgage and services for the apartment without rent coming in. Surely I am entitled to avoid going into serious financial debt because of someone else defaulting on monies they owe to me.?
    Regards, Angela
    my email is: paddy.macky@gmail.com

Dear Ms McMahon,

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm afraid so; you will be held liable because of soemeone elses' lack of compliance.

I'll e-mail you to advise on your case.

Yours faithfully,
    Raymunmdo LarraĆ*n Nesbitt

Donna

My contract is up to end of Oct but I have to leave the apartment because I lost my job. I adviced him o fthe scenario more than a month ago and he agreed. Few days before the schedule of termination, the landlord said he will take the aval bancario because I was unable to complete the contract. He never said this before, he just said its ok if I will leave, he''ll find another tenant. Can you advice me on this. Thanks in advance.

Dear Madam,

I have already replied to the query you've posted in the other thread you've started:

http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/foru...ead.php?t=1115

Yours faithfully,

Sunni Mirza

Hi.
    I have an apartment in Puerto Banus that I let out for holiday lets ranging normally from 1-2 weeks over summer. Please can you advise if these very short term let renters could potentially remain and squat. And if so, what actions can be taken to prevent this happening?
    Kindest Regards
    Sunni
    sunnilondon@hotmail.com

Hi Sunni,

In short, yes they can "squat" or remain in it.

If they do remain in the property over time, you are going to have to appoint a lawyer to evict them formally through the law courts. If you try to evict them on your own they can report you to the Police and you may find yourself being taken into custody and sleeping in a Spanish jail.

You may want to read my article on common mistakes to avoid on renting property in Spain:

Renting Property in Spain: Common Mistakes to Avoid (Part I) - 12th May 2010 Levante Lifesyle Magazine

Renting Property in Spain: Common Mistakes to Avoid (Part II) - 16th June 2010 Levante Lifesyle Magazine

Regarding your query on ways to mitigate the exposure to non-paying tenants you may want to read my blog post on the matter as well as my article:

Expat Legal-Gossip Gathering Pace (Part 1) - 27th February 2010

Non-Paying Tenants? No Longer an Issue -23rd October 2009

Common Misconceptions about Spanish Rental Contracts - 21st November 2008

Landlord: Keys to Successful Rental Income - 31st January 2008

The only fire proof action is not to rent in Spain until there's a decisive change of the current laws which are tenant-friendly for historical reasons that need to be addressed asap. But this option may be a tad too radical.

Yours sincerely,
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 07-05-2010 at 03:43 PM.