Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: No win-No fee? Are you good enough?

Threaded View

Default No win-No fee? Are you good enough?

As someone who's directly benefitted in the past from the excellent services of 'Lawbird' I've had no hesitation in recommending their services to others both via forums and in person. Unfortunately I've learned that 'Lawbird' are now quoting what I'd consider to be extortionate fees to represent some who are seeking help recovering deposits.

In the UK, I know both solicitors and planning consultants (I'm sure there will be other types also) who will take on a case for a pre-agreed percentage of a successful claim. They are able to offer this on a "no win no fee" basis simply because they "know their game" inside out. They're not daft though, if a case looks like it could go either way they'll often say "no thanks" and move on to the more straightforward cases.

This has 2 main benefits for the company;
    (a) they only back the winners, so their high success rate acts as a magnet for more business, and as they get a percentage of the success instead of a flat fee their cases are more profitable.
    (b) their successes generate happy customers who will then often recommend them to others or provide repeat business in future cases.

When a company want BOTH a whacking fee up front AND a large percentage of the money reclaimed, they may get the odd taker (if they're desperate enough or daft enough) but this type of short-term greed will ensure they end up with less work in the long run and as the saying goes 'mud sticks'.

I'm hoping I've got the wrong end of the stick here so would appreciate it is anyone from Lawbird would like to comment on why they have to work it so that they have nothing to lose and everything to gain, whereas the client potentially has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Likewise anyone else who's been quoted ridiculously high fees might like to comment. Thanks. Pat

ps - what's the spanish equivalent to the UK Law Society?
    Last edited by LetDown; 03-30-2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: typo