Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: UK/Brazilian citizen in Spain - Citizenship after 2 years possible?

Hybrid View

Question UK/Brazilian citizen in Spain - Citizenship after 2 years possible?

I'm a dual citizen of Brazil and the UK and live in Spain with a 5-year TIE, which I applied for pre-Brexit via my UK passport (as if I'd sought residency here via my Brazilian passport, I would've needed a job offer etc etc)

My question is, would I be able to apply for a Spanish citizenship after 2 years as is the case with Iberoamerican citizens due to the fact that I am a Brazilian citizen? Or would the fact that my TIE was applied for with my UK passport?

I know this is quite a specific situation but if anyone has any information or experience I'd appreciate it hugely! Thanks!

Hello Cmodena,

You will be able to apply for the Spanish nationality based on your Latin American nationality providing that is your nationality by origins: that is, that you are originally from Brazil. The fact that you are using your British passport in order to access a residency status in Spain more easily won´t affect your right to apply for the Spanish nationality, as long as you are holder of a Latin American passport by origins.

If you wish to discuss further, please feel free to use our contact form.
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile