Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Filipino working in UAE -> Spanish citizenship

Default Filipino working in UAE -> Spanish citizenship

so i read that Filipinos only needs to stay for 2 years in spain to get the citizenship. Is it true?

Im working right now in UAE and my family is in Philippines. would it be possible for the following;

1. retain my job here in the UAE and stay in spain to work remotely so i can accumulate the days to get my citizenship?
    2. can i do the citizenship for myself first and once i got it, i will take my family?
    3. is non-lucrative the only non expensive option that can do the above? investment is a no go since i dont have 500k euros
    4. If i will apply for non lucrative for me and my family, will i be able to send my children to spanish public school or it has to be private until we get our citizenship?
    5. i understand that i cannot work when im on non lucrative. but will i be able to work after i get the citizenship?
    6. if i can work remotely, do i have any tax obligations to the spanish government?
    7. is the 2 years really mean 365 days per year or its less? can i leave the country for a vacation somewhere but wont affect my count for my citizenship?

Hello Renzo,

You are correct, Philippine nationals are eligible for the Spanish nationality after two years´ residency in Spain.

Please read my replies to your questions:

1. retain my job here in the UAE and stay in spain to work remotely so i can accumulate the days to get my citizenship?

This is only possible if you access a residence authorization via an investor´s residence visa that does not require a minimum stay in Spain in order to keep a residence status.

2. can i do the citizenship for myself first and once i got it, i will take my family?

Will they be residents n Spain as well? They should apply at the same time.

3. is non-lucrative the only non expensive option that can do the above? investment is a no go since i dont have 500k euros

4. If i will apply for non lucrative for me and my family, will i be able to send my children to spanish public school or it has to be private until we get our citizenship?

The Non Lucrative residence permit requires a minimum stay in Spain of 6 months per year. If you stay in UAE you will not be able to keep your residence permit. Concerning schools, you can register your children in a public school, though it will be more difficult to get them registered than if you choose a private schools as there are official set periods of time to register them.

5. i understand that i cannot work when im on non lucrative. but will i be able to work after i get the citizenship?

Yes.

6. if i can work remotely, do i have any tax obligations to the spanish government?

As a Spanish resident, you will have the obligation to file your income tax declaration for all the assets you own worldwide. There are double Taxation treaties that will avoid you having to pay taxes twice.

7. is the 2 years really mean 365 days per year or its less? can i leave the country for a vacation somewhere but wont affect my count for my citizenship?

As I mentioned earlier, you need to stay in Spain for a minimum of 6 months per year in order to keep a residency status.
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile