Hello, I am British with permanent residency here in Spain and have not spent more than 2 continuous years outside Spain even when I was studying in the USA. However, while I believe this doesn´t effect my permanent residency status, I am concerned that several absences from Spain, some of over 6 months during the past 3 years could make me inelligible for citizenship (which I would ordinarily be able to apply for in September of this year after being resident 10 years.) Are there any circumstances, such as in the case of study abroad (which I can prove) that would make me still elligible? I have retained a contract on a flat in Madrid the whole time I was away, remained empadrinado, and returned to Spain after my studies. The movements are clearly seen on my passport which is required to apply for nationality so it is not like being in a EU country where it might not be so obvious. Also, being a student, I do not have much I have contrubuted in the way of taxes or social security the past 3 1/2 years. Therefore in a nutshell:
1) Am I right in believing I am still legally permanent resident in Spain?
2) Could I still get nationality?
3) Will lack of proof of social security payments and taxes in recent years be a problem?
Thankyou!