Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: HELP!Can a father apply for newborn passport in Spain if the baby was born in the UK?

Default HELP!Can a father apply for newborn passport in Spain if the baby was born in the UK?

I have a 2 week old baby who was born in the UK. I am British and the father is Spanish and he has returned to Mallorca. We are not married and are no longer in a relationship. Can he apply for a Spanish passport without my consent if he has the babys' birth certificate? (We share parental responsibility on the birth certificate) We agreed that I am going to apply for a British passport for her. I am concerned if he could do this unbeknownst to me and produce a Spanish passport at a later date, despite agreeing to wait till she is a lot older. I am unable to find the answer to this online...Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Hello Isa,

I believe the baby´s birth certificate indicates who her father is and his nationality.

She is Spanish by origins and will always have the option to apply for a Spanish passport, and her father´s authorization is required as well as yours, as full parental authorization ( both parents ) is required for all underaged children in Spain when applying for a passport.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile