Hello,

I have a question related to my indebtedness in Spain. I was working there with as an independent contractor with a contract in Switzerland and such I was not an employee of the company I worked for.

Unfortunately I was laid off and was living off my savings however I became very ill and was hospitalized due to pneuomonia as well as a secondary life threatening illness. Once I was released another illness/infection had affected my brain and mostly resulting in radical changes in my behaviour, including spending all my savings and in fact getting myself into debt.

My bank blocked my credit card however they then unblocked it even though I was already in a negative balance in my current account (both credit card and current accounts are with the same bank and the cc balance was always debited from my current account each month).

I ended up racking up over 8,000 Euros in debt. I am currently receiving treatment for the illness/infection that affected my brain and behaviour and have since left Spain for the Czech Republic where I am being treated.

This was 3 months ago when I reported the credit card lost/stolen however it's been even longer that I have had a negative balance in my current account.

My questions are as follows: 1) what are my options as being a person with an illness which caused this behaviour? 2) would it be advisable to write to the bank informing them of my situation and to ask for debt forgiveness or negotiation?

Any other advice regarding my situation would be greatly appreciated.

I am still unemployed and currently hospitalized, and not sure when I will be able to work again.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.