Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Can spanish lawyers practice in (any) other spanish-speaking countries?

Cesc

Default Can spanish lawyers practice in (any) other spanish-speaking countries?

Dear All,

I'm a Law recent graduate in Italy, currently pursuing the CEP in London, as I'd like to undertake a more international career than that of the average italian lawyers.

It's my 'second career': I used to work in business consulting and I have previous degrees (BSc, MSc and MIB) in Business and Economics in foreign universities (including Germany, Spain and Brazil), thus I am quite fluent in some other languages, including Spanish.

As you may guess, I am nomore very young (almost in my 30s) and I'd like to find the fastest way to undertake the international legal career I wish and to exploit my business expertise. In the UK, for a Civil Law student, the process is unfortunately quite long.

I have recently read that Spain and Portugal have agreements with their former colonies, to freely allow the other country's lawyers to practice in the respective courts.

I have found the agreement between Portugal and Brazil, but apparently it applies only to portugues citizens.

For what concerns Spain, instead, I cannot find anything, even if in several other law blogs is mentioned such an opportunity, in particular for lawyers from Chile, Mexico and Porto Rico.

Three questions:

- Is it true? (please may you kindly indicate me the relevant legislation/agreements)

- How long does it take for a (european) Civil Law graduate (300 ECTS Bolonia Agreement System) to get the habilitation as abogado in Spain?

- Do spanish law firms actually offer good opportunities in international business and IP Law careers also for the new hired? I know bigger ones are opening new branches all over South America, but is it an actual opportunity for a neo-abogado or just for few very experienced professionals (such is the situation in Italy)?

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Cesc

Dear Cesc

First of all let me start by writing, as a disclaimer, that we offer no legal advice on LL.B's, LL.M.'s or working in general as a lawyer in Spain.

Regarding your first query I'm unaware of such agreements you mention and cannot point to the legislation, if any, ruling on the matter.

Even if in existence, Laws differ greatly although the roots and legal concepts may, for historical liasons, have a common denominator.

Regarding your query on homologating a Law degree it is taking between 1-3 years. You should address this legal query directly to Spain's Education dept. There are many open threads discussing this in our Immigration sub-forum.

Regarding your third query, top Spanish law firms (magic circle ones) offer superb opportunities to top Law graduates in South America and even the US itself within the last decade. It is normal that these law firms recruit elite-ranking students and offer them internships ranging 6 months to 2 years abroad. They even pay them an LL.M. in Law if the candidate merits it in world-reknown institutions such as Harvard or Georgetown. These college freshmen are then expected to return to Spain to contribute with their newly acquired skills and corporate networking.

Obviously you are free to pursue your own international career if you want after having "paid off" for a number of years what they've invested in you. In fact many smart law graduates do actually pursue a professional career abroad as they are paid over four times more than their Spanish counterparts doing exactly the same work and number of hours (i.e. M&A).

Sincerely
    Raymundo LarraĆ*n Nesbitt

Cesc

Default Thank You.

Dear Raymundo,

Thank you for the kind answer.

I wasn't aware, actually, of such differences among the spanish and the Latin American legislations. In the articles I read it was made much simplier (I don't know if I can quote a brief extract, with the source), right focusing on those branches of Law in which I'd like most to work (tax, business and IP law) and claiming 'astonishing similarities'.

All the best,

Cesc

You are welcome Cesc.

Regards