Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non Lucrative Residence Permit

Unregistered

Default Immigration

Hi Patricia

Your advice seems very qualified. I just wonder if the 183 day rule applies for Temporary Residence as well. Is the minimum period then 5 years before you can apply? Also how many days out of 5 years should you have spent in Spain?

Thank you!

Vlad

Hello Vlad,

Yes, the 183 days rule applies for temporary residence, that is, those residence permits with a validity of 1 or 2 years. Once you obtain the Long stay residence permit, you should not spend more than 12 months every 5 years out of the country if you do not want to be at risk of losing your residence status.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Default possible way to avoid this rule?

Thank you Patricia, I wonder if there is a way to avoid this rule at all? E.g. apply for an alternative category. Also, would you be able to offer legal assistance in this?

Thanks a lot!

Hello Vlad,

That rule applies to all temporary and initial residence permits, as if you intend to spend less than that they do not consider you qualify to become a resident in Spain and that short stay/ tourist visas for 90 days will be enough for your purposes.

I can certainly offer legal assistance in any matter related to Immigration, so please feel free to contact me by clicking on my profile so I can study your case.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Hi Patricia - can a 90 day tourist visa be extended? I'm planning on pursuing Spanish residency so need to spend 183 days per year in Spain. My husband, who is American, would like to spend as much of that time with me as possible. Can he extend the 90 days to 180 days? Can he do that for 2 years in a row? I am of Filipino origin, so can apply for citizenship after 2 years, whereas my husband cannot.

Unregistered

Default Visitors visa

Thank you Patricia. But then if you invest a lot of money in Spain to have a visitors visa is a bit unstable and does not feel like a not long term arrangment.

Perhaps there is another option ?

Thank you for all your usefull info.

Regards

Vlad

Hello Vlad,

There is no investment required for visitor visas but just required for initial/temporary residence permits that you can renew for another 2 years if you still keep the same financial and personal situation and that will finally lead to permanent residency ( after 5 years ).

I cannot talk about options at this stage as I need to have full knowledge of your particular case and circumstances.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Hello Vlad,

There is no investment required for visitor visas but just required for initial/temporary residence permits that you can renew for another 2 years if you still keep the same financial and personal situation and that will finally lead to permanent residency ( after 5 years ).

I cannot talk about options at this stage as I need to have full knowledge of your particular case and circumstances.

Regards,
    Patricia,

Thank you for this information. I currently have the initial non-lucrative residence permit and the permiso de residencia that expires after the first year. This first year is about to end in a few months and I was wondering if you could give some details about the renewal process? What does that entail? Is it as complicated as the initial application process or is it simply filling out a quick form and bringing in your old card? How far in advance of the expiration date of my initial permiso de residencia should I submit an application for renewal?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Vlad,

You can file the renewal application within two months before the permit expires, and even within 3 months after it has expired. However, please note that once expired you will have to be very cautious with travelling dates if you intend to travel in and out of Spain as your card will be expired and you will have to apply for a return authorization for the Police Station, that will allow you enter Spain in the next two months with the expired card.

The renewal documentation and processing is not as complicated as the one followed in the initial application, as many documents will still be valid, however, any official document related to income ( basically, to prove you keep the same financial status ) will have to be updated ( bank certificates, rental income, company financial documentation ). It is not as easy as to file a form and hand the expired card over to the officer. I recommend you to get legal aid to check the documentation is in place and correct.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Hi, Patricia. I hope you can help me. I posted a few weeks ago but no one answered. I am a US citizen and just obtained the non-lucrative residency visa. I am also a Cuban citizen by birth. Would it be possible for me to change the country on my residency card from the US to Cuba in order to apply for Spanish citizenship after 2 years of residency? As a US citizen I would need to wait 10 years. Please note that all the income I am receiving comes from the United States. Thank you.