Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

I am planning to do what Antonio has done here, i.e. get a non-lucrative visa and reside in Spain for 2 years to meet the 2-year residency requirement for Spanish citizenship. I have some follow-up questions:

1. I have dual citizenship, US and Philippines, with Philippines as my original country of birth and original nationality. Am I still qualified to apply for Spanish nationality under the 2-year residency requirements for Filipinos, despite my US citizenship?

2. What proof do I have to submit for this 2-year residency requirement? Once I get to Spain with my Non-Lucrative (NL) Visa, do I have to register to get some sort of Spanish residency ID and this will be the proof? Or stamp in my passport that I have arrived and using the NL visa is sufficient?

3. Aside from 2-year residency requirement, are there other requirements for Spanish citizenship? Like
    a. Passing Spanish proficiency test?
    b. Passing written exam about Spanish history?
    c. Having certain amount in the bank?
    d. Is there an age limit to apply for Spanish nationality? (am 53 now).
    e. Etc.

4. I read that it will take at least 2 years to process the Spanish citizenship application. Is this right? So with the 2-year residency requirement plus the 2 years of citizenship processing, it will take 4 years before I get my Spanish citizenship? If so, can I shorten this by applying for citizenhsip after 1 year of residency since by the time they finish processing the application, I will surely have met the 2 years of residency requirement.

Thank you.

Emett

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Hello Antonio,

You do not have to go through the whole process again, as you are a resident in Spain already. However, you will have to gather again documentation to prove you still have the same financial situation that allows you live in Spain without the need to work as well as fresh certificate of empadronamiento and copy of rental or purchase contract. You will also need to provide with a copy of medical insurance card.

An advantage also is that the renewal application can be filed by administrative post or by Internet, no personal appearance at the Immigration Office is required.

The two years of legal residency ( Non Lucrative residency in your case ), will certainly count toward the nationality application.

Please contact us by email if you need further information.

Regards,

I am hoping this msg will reach Antonio as I would like to get in touch with him to find out his experience of having an Non-Lucrative Visa. Kindly contact me. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

I am also a Filipino citizen that has been living in Spain for almost the past year on a non-lucrative residency card. I have two questions:

1. What is the process for renewing my non-lucrative residency? Do I have to repeat the entire process to get a new non-lucrative visa as I did initially (including apostilles, FBI records, etc)? Or is it a simple renewal process at the Oficina de Extranjeros? What documents are required for this process?

2. Does living in Spain for two years under the non-lucrative residency qualify for/satisfy the residency requirement for citizenship?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Antonio

12-22-2013, 05:00 PM
    Me and my father recently got our Spanish passport in spanish embassy in the philippines, as my grand father is a spanish.
    I'm working here in Dubai and using my filipino passport for the working visa. As they are not allowing dual citizens, i am not sure if I can use my spanish passport from dubai to spain. If i resign and go from manila to spain, do I need to pay anything on philippine immigration? do i need to apply dual citizenship or is it automatically given?

PeJa

Quote Originally Posted by emettdc View Post
    I am planning to do what Antonio has done here, i.e. get a non-lucrative visa and reside in Spain for 2 years to meet the 2-year residency requirement for Spanish citizenship. I have some follow-up questions:

1. I have dual citizenship, US and Philippines, with Philippines as my original country of birth and original nationality. Am I still qualified to apply for Spanish nationality under the 2-year residency requirements for Filipinos, despite my US citizenship?

2. What proof do I have to submit for this 2-year residency requirement? Once I get to Spain with my Non-Lucrative (NL) Visa, do I have to register to get some sort of Spanish residency ID and this will be the proof? Or stamp in my passport that I have arrived and using the NL visa is sufficient?

3. Aside from 2-year residency requirement, are there other requirements for Spanish citizenship? Like
    a. Passing Spanish proficiency test?
    b. Passing written exam about Spanish history?
    c. Having certain amount in the bank?
    d. Is there an age limit to apply for Spanish nationality? (am 53 now).
    e. Etc.

4. I read that it will take at least 2 years to process the Spanish citizenship application. Is this right? So with the 2-year residency requirement plus the 2 years of citizenship processing, it will take 4 years before I get my Spanish citizenship? If so, can I shorten this by applying for citizenhsip after 1 year of residency since by the time they finish processing the application, I will surely have met the 2 years of residency requirement.

Thank you.

Emett
    I'm in the exact same situation as you Emett! I will be watching closely and hopefully you'll get a good answer. I gave up my filipino citizenship when i naturalized in the US. I'm wondering if I need to reacquire it before getting my non-lucrative visa in Spain. Good luck!

Hello San Diego and Emmettdc,

As long as the Philippine Passport is valid, you can use the Philippine nationality to apply for the Spanish citizenship, regardless the fact you used the US passport to apply for Spanish residency and the reason for this is that you are Philippine by origins. San Diego, if there is the possibility for you to recover your Philippine nationality you could consider it if your intention is to eventually become a Spanish citizen.

Once you become a Spanish resident; that is, you get your residence visa stamped on your passport to enter Spain, you are allowed 3 months to apply for the residence card at the corresponding Police Station of the province where you are settling. That card will prove you are a resident, but you will have to respect the 185 days per year in Spain and Schengen area to be able to keep that status. After 2 years you must file the renewal application for two additional years, and the documentation required will be the one that proves your financial situation remains the same as when you initially applied.

You do not need to pass a Spanish language and History exam when you file your Spanish citizenship application but you will be interviewed about your profile, current financial and personal situation and time you have spent in Spain. Additionally, you will be asked questions related to contemporary Spanish culture and events, as well as names of Spanish Popular People ( Monarchy, Politics, Culture, Celebrities, etc ). There is no age limit to apply for the Spanish Nationality.

The Nationality application can take about two years to be resolved after its application but this time cannot be reduced as you are not eligible until you have completed two years of legal residency in Spain; that is, two years since your residence card has been issued. If you apply after one year of legal residency your application will be turned down as you are not eligible at that moment.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Quote Originally Posted by PeJa View Post
    12-22-2013, 05:00 PM
    Me and my father recently got our Spanish passport in spanish embassy in the philippines, as my grand father is a spanish.
    I'm working here in Dubai and using my filipino passport for the working visa. As they are not allowing dual citizens, i am not sure if I can use my spanish passport from dubai to spain. If i resign and go from manila to spain, do I need to pay anything on philippine immigration? do i need to apply dual citizenship or is it automatically given?

PeJa
    Hello Peja,

You can certainly use your Spanish passport to travel to Spain if you already have it. However, if your concern is related to the Dubai authorities allowing you use the Spanish passport, it is a matter that has to be clarified by them and I cannot help you as I do not have that information. I recommend you to contact the Spanish embassy in Abu Dhabi as I am quite sure they will have a reply to all your questions regarding this matter.

With regards to Immigration fees charged by Philippine authorities, it is something I cannot help with as I am unaware of Philippine Immigration Law. Dual citizenship Philippine/ Spanish is allowed by Spanish Law; it is granted automatically as you are not required to give up ur Philippine nationality.

I hope this answer has been helpful.

Best Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Default Getting married in Spain

Hi. I'm a Filipina and my fiance is a Filipino but spanish citizen. We want to get married in Madrid, Spain. Is it possible? Do I need to be in spain the whole process? (From registration to the civil registry). Approximately how many months it will take before we can get married?

Hello Ella,

You can certainly travel to Spain and get married there with your partner while on a short stay visa, though be aware that getting the authorization to get married may take a few months, depending on the town and province where you will marry. You will be asked to visit the Civil Registry for an interview within a month after you file the marriage application, so you may have to travel to Spain twice before you get married. Normally, the authorities are flexible with foreigners that are processing a marriage application but this is not a norm, so we recommend you to be on a valid visa.

I recommend you to read this article: Getting Married In Spain: General Overview and Legal Issues For Foreigners In Irregular Situation. It will help you understand the procedure and timings.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

robzdb

Smile

Hi, I am not sure about this but due to the treaty of paris my great great grandparents renounced their spanish citizenship by staying in the Philippines. Is it still possible for us to obtain Spanish Citizenship?

Hello Robzdb,

If you have evidence of your parents renouncing the Spanish nationality, you won´t be considered of Spanish originis. You are fourth generation to the right seems to be lost. However, if you are a philippine national , you can be eligible for the Spanish nationality after two years of legal residency in Spain. If you need further assistance, please contact us by email.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile