Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Filipino Wanting Spanish Citizenship

Hybrid View

Hello Yeye,

As a grandchild of a individual that was Spanish a national, you could apply for Spanish nationality after one year of legal residence in Spain, as established in the Spanish Civil Code, (Article 22.2.f ).

If you had found those documents earlier you could have applied for Spanish citizenship based on the Ley de Memoria Historica. The citizenship application due to this Law could be filed by those individuals that were born of Spanish parents or grandparents that had to renounce to their nationality for political reasons during the CIvil War; they had to prove their ancestors had left the country between the 18th of July of 1936 and the 31st of December of 1955; otherwise, they could not be considered a refugee and Spanish exiled. However, the deadline to apply based on this Law expired on the 27th December 2011.

As a Filipino, you can also apply for Spanish nationality after two years of legal residency in Spain.

Best Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

How easy is it for a Filipino to get Spanish residency/work permit? We had an employee in Singapore but we couldn't get her a visa when we moved to Greece for a contract job, We do however have a house in Spain, so was wondering how easy it would be to get her there, back in our employ and then from Spain we can apply for a uk visa for her after we've been together again for one year, when we then could all move back to the UK?
    Thanks

Hello Mojosing,

The only way that your philipinne employee can apply for legal residency in Spain consodering she has no other roots in Spain is by a salaried work and residence permit, though unfortunately, housework employees are not currently demanded as per the immigration office queaterly list of profession of difficult cover, and thefore those types of permits are not currently being granted.

In the event your employee had family relationships with Spanish or EU citizens living in Spain, she could then be able to apply for residency via a different type of residence permit application.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile