I am planning to do what Antonio has done here, i.e. get a non-lucrative visa and reside in Spain for 2 years to meet the 2-year residency requirement for Spanish citizenship. I have some follow-up questions:

1. I have dual citizenship, US and Philippines, with Philippines as my original country of birth and original nationality. Am I still qualified to apply for Spanish nationality under the 2-year residency requirements for Filipinos, despite my US citizenship?

2. What proof do I have to submit for this 2-year residency requirement? Once I get to Spain with my Non-Lucrative (NL) Visa, do I have to register to get some sort of Spanish residency ID and this will be the proof? Or stamp in my passport that I have arrived and using the NL visa is sufficient?

3. Aside from 2-year residency requirement, are there other requirements for Spanish citizenship? Like
a. Passing Spanish proficiency test?
b. Passing written exam about Spanish history?
c. Having certain amount in the bank?
d. Is there an age limit to apply for Spanish nationality? (am 53 now).
e. Etc.

4. I read that it will take at least 2 years to process the Spanish citizenship application. Is this right? So with the 2-year residency requirement plus the 2 years of citizenship processing, it will take 4 years before I get my Spanish citizenship? If so, can I shorten this by applying for citizenhsip after 1 year of residency since by the time they finish processing the application, I will surely have met the 2 years of residency requirement.

Thank you.

Emett

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Hello Antonio,

You do not have to go through the whole process again, as you are a resident in Spain already. However, you will have to gather again documentation to prove you still have the same financial situation that allows you live in Spain without the need to work as well as fresh certificate of empadronamiento and copy of rental or purchase contract. You will also need to provide with a copy of medical insurance card.

An advantage also is that the renewal application can be filed by administrative post or by Internet, no personal appearance at the Immigration Office is required.

The two years of legal residency ( Non Lucrative residency in your case ), will certainly count toward the nationality application.

Please contact us by email if you need further information.

Regards,