PDA

View Full Version : Tarjeta de Residencia VS Visa

Unregistered
01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
I am a US citizen married to a Spanish citizen. We married 7 years ago in Gibraltar. Since then we have been living in the US and moved to Spain about 1 month ago. We have a Libro de Familia. At this point is it proper and sufficient for me to go to the Oficina de Extranjero and apply for the tarjeta de residencia or do I also need to have a residence visa? I read that I needed to get a residence visa and that the only way to get one is to go back home and apply from there. Is this true? Can I get the tarjeta de residencia without a residence visa and does that tarjeta obviate the need for a residence visa?

Thank you!

Thomas

Marta
01-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi Thomas,

In your case you won't need to have a visa as American citizens are not required to have this when entering Spain. However you will need to make your application within the three months counting from your entry stamp date.

Unregistered
10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Hi Thomas,

In your case you won't need to have a visa as American citizens are not required to have this when entering Spain. However you will need to make your application within the three months counting from your entry stamp date.

I am a Russian citizen married to a EU citizen(Latvia), i can go with tourist visa to the Oficina de Extranjero and apply for the tarjeta de residencia or I mast get a residence visa D in cosulate in my own country?

Marta
11-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi,

If you are already in Spain don't worry about the visa you held when coming into Spain. If you are outside the EU then you should request at the Spanish Consulate a " Visado de familiar comunitario". This visa is dealt with very quickly.

rafypr
03-19-2011, 06:47 PM
i have a question i have a spanish girlfriend she lives in Spain, I live in USA ( im from Puerto Rico - US citizen) we want to get married, in that case she will get US citizenship and I get Spanish citizenship?

Marta
04-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Hi Rafypr,

Citizenship is only acquired if you request it. With this meaning that it is not automatically granted via marriage to a Spaniard. Note that the Spanish civil code does not contemplate Spanish-American dual citizenship. However we have come across people( also in this forum) who know of others holding both nationalities.