PDA

View Full Version : What happens to tennant if property sold?

rich
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi,
I'm have arranged to rent a property in Spain for 6 months and am due to sign a contract on Monday. However today the landlord has called to say he has someone interested in buying the property. He woud sell honouring my contract but I want to clarify my position as obviously a new landlord may want vacant possesion or me removed.

Thanks

Rich

Lawbird Lawyer
11-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Dear Sir or Madam,

With the new laws that have been passed the landlord doesn't need to respect long-term contracts any longer providing certain clauses are included in the Tenancy Agreement.

You can read more here:

Express Eviction Law Passed by Congress (http://belegal.com/wordpress/express-eviction-law-passed-by-congress/) - 30th October 2009

If these clauses are not included then a long-term tenant has to be respected in his contract even if the property is sold.

Regarding seasonal contracts ort short term they have to be very professinall worded so they are not regarded as a long term contract.

Only because a tenancy contract is labelled as "seasonal" or "short-term" (de temporada) doesn't make it one. This is a lesson that many landlords have learn't the hard way.

If the new owner wants you removed from the property, as it's normal, you can agree with him a suitable compensation for leaving the property ahead of what's been agreed in your contract.

Yours faithfully,
Raymundo LarraĆ*n Nesbitt

rich
11-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Thank you for your detailed response.

Lawbird Lawyer
11-11-2009, 05:16 PM
You're welcome.