PDA

View Full Version : Spanish citizenship for a Sephardic Jew

rimini2004
08-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi,
I'm a citizen of the US and a sephardic jew. What documents will be required from me for applying for a Spanish citizenship after 2 years of legal residency in Spain based on the fact that I am a sephardic jew? In other words, what kind of proof will be needed from me to prove that I am in fact a sephardic jew?

Thank you for your advise!
Gene K

Unregistered
09-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi,
You have to send your ketuba's copy ,documents from the jewish community that your are sefaradic, and your wedding documents. You have to have previous conviction document. Your passport copy, your id copies.....

Unregistered
07-17-2011, 12:54 AM
I am interested in the same requirements as rimini2004.

I am American and Jewish.

I am not married so I do not have kebutah or wedding documents.

And as far as documents from the jewish community that I am sephardic, I am not sure what I could get to prove this. I was thinking I might need to take a dna test of some sort, but otherwise, what documents can I get from my temple?

Also, I lived in Spain for 3 years but was not legal. Do I need to start the clock over again and build up 2 more years uninterrupted, or can I try to get recognition for those 3 years I lived in Spain.

So if those 3 years do not count, and I get the relevant documents, should I just go to spain, seek residency, live there for 2 years, then apply? Or should I consult the consulate/embassy in advance to make sure I meet qualifications?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any help.

Marta
07-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I am interested in the same requirements as rimini2004.

I am American and Jewish.

I am not married so I do not have kebutah or wedding documents.

And as far as documents from the jewish community that I am sephardic, I am not sure what I could get to prove this. I was thinking I might need to take a dna test of some sort, but otherwise, what documents can I get from my temple?

Also, I lived in Spain for 3 years but was not legal. Do I need to start the clock over again and build up 2 more years uninterrupted, or can I try to get recognition for those 3 years I lived in Spain.

So if those 3 years do not count, and I get the relevant documents, should I just go to spain, seek residency, live there for 2 years, then apply? Or should I consult the consulate/embassy in advance to make sure I meet qualifications?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any help.

Hello,

Regarding your enquiry as to the documentation which would prove your sephardic origin, unfortunately I am not able to help you here. Please check with your your nearest Sephardic Congation in the US or even in Spain as they will be able to point you in the right direction. As to your other enquiry please note that the citizenship countdown starts from the moment you obtain your work and residence or just residence permit. Finally with regards to the years lived in Spain, if these are immediate to this date you could look at requesting a work and residence permit known as arraigo. For this you must also have a job offer. For more details on this please contact me directly.

danotronik
11-16-2011, 01:18 AM
I have read that it is only 1 year necessary to apply for spanish citizenship. I can't find any official areas to confirm this though. So the only way is to get a work visa for a year and then apply?