PDA

View Full Version : Questions for acquiring Puerto Rican citizenship and then Spanish citizenship

Refritos
09-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Lots of great info on this forum. I am a US citizen with no family connection to Puerto Rico. Next year, I will be going to PR for work. After 1 year in PR, Americans are entitled to apply for Puerto Rican citizenship.

My question is, after I receive Puerto Rican citizenship would I be eligible to utilize Spain's two year residence to citizenship option?
Specifically, does Spain recognize naturalized citizens of former colonies, or only citizens by birth (in my case, is becoming a Puerto Rican citizen enough, or do you have to be born Puerto Rican)?

Para la concesión de la nacionalidad por residencia se requiere que ésta haya durado diez años. Serán suficientes cinco años para los que hayan obtenido la condición de refugiado y dos años cuando se trate de nacionales de origen de paÃ*ses iberoamericanos, Andorra, Filipinas, Guinea Ecuatorial o Portugal o de sefardÃ*es.

I'm not clear exactly what
nacionales de origen means in this context.

Thanks for clearing it up. I'd love to know if this is even possible before I spend 3+ years trying to acquire Spanish citizenship.

Patricia
09-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Hello Refritos

Nacionales de origen means Nationals by Origin; that is, that you are naturally born of that Nationality.

I understand you would not be meeting that criteria, as you are a natural born US citizen.

Regards,

Jayswrld25
07-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Hi,
I have three grandparents who were born in Puerto Rico. I am US citizen and have lived here my entire life as have my parents. I wanted to see if I am somehow eligible to apply and receive Puerto Rican citizenship and/or Spanish citizenship.

Please advise