PDA

View Full Version : From student to permanent resident

olu@1
01-11-2015, 02:34 AM
Hi. Can you let me know my options as a Nigerian student seeking to apply for Spanish permanent residency? I presently have my first NIE/student card which will expire in few months.
Thanks. O/

Marta
01-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Good morning, you will be able to change the nature of your residence permit in the event that you have held your student visa in Spain for at least 3 years.

Shid
01-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Good morning, you will be able to change the nature of your residence permit in the event that you have held your student visa in Spain for at least 3 years.

Hi Marta, I have read on this forum that one needs atleast 5 years of residency status before being eligible for permanent residence ? Please confirm that it is only 3 years!

In addition, I have also read that in general the student NIE is not considered as being a resident. So these years do not actually count. Is that so ?

curieroy
03-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Please confirm that it is only 3 years Hi Marta, I have read on this forum that one needs atleast 5 years of residency status before being eligible for permanent residence ?

Marta
03-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Hello Curieroy,

You will be able to opt for permanent residency after 5 years of legal residence in Spain.

Marta
03-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Hi Marta, I have read on this forum that one needs atleast 5 years of residency status before being eligible for permanent residence ? Please confirm that it is only 3 years!

In addition, I have also read that in general the student NIE is not considered as being a resident. So these years do not actually count. Is that so ?

A student visa or ' tarjeta de estudiante' will not be considered for citizenship purposes.

olu@1
04-03-2015, 12:39 PM

Dear Marta,

Thank you for your response and happy Semana Santa.

I am a bit unclear about your comment. My student visa was for three months then I was issued a tarjeta de estudiante on arrival in Spain. The tarjeta is to serve me for a year. Now that I am planning to go for an MBA that would require that I extend my stay in Spain by a year, do I need to apply for a visa or how do I have a student visa in Spain for at least 3 years as you'd mentioned?

I look forward to your prompt response. Thank you.

Olu