PDA

View Full Version : Australian/Spanish Citizenship please please pleassee help :( !!!

Unregistered
08-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I am wanting to apply for a spanish citizenship through origin. I called the spanish consulate today and asked about whether I would have to renounce my Australian citizenship. I was told that I would be signing a document stating I will renounce my Australian citizenship however, this document will not be sent to any Australian Officials and will be kept with the Spanish Consulate. I have a few concerns with this which are;

1. What is the exact statement being made in the document, is it that I HAVE renounced my citizenship or that I WILL renounce my citizenship. If it is saying I have, this would clearly be a lie and wouldnt there be consequences?
2. Is the Spanish embassy, after a while, able to send the document to the Australian government and in turn I am forced to give up my citizenship?

I would really really appreciate a response from someone who has been through this or has knowledge about it, as I have asked both the Australian Immigration and the Spanish and have not been given much help!

Thanks

Patricia
08-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Hello,

The text of the promise or judgement when you formalize the Spanish Nationality is not specific, it indicates that: You renounce to your current nationality. Not that you will renounce. The Spanish authorotes do not notify the Australian authorities that you have acquired the Spanish citizsnship. It is just that fro Spain, you are no longer an Australian citizen, but a Spanish one. Your Australian passport won´t be valid for Spain.

The Spanish Embassy does not notify that type of information.

Regards,